Tooth Extractions in San Francisco, CA
Comfortable Tooth Extraction for Damaged or Infected Teeth
As dental professionals, we make every effort to save and protect your natural teeth. Sometimes, damage or infection occurs that cannot be repaired. In the event of severe infection or trauma, we may recommend tooth extraction to eliminate the source of discomfort and prevent the infection from spreading to nearby teeth and gums.
At Symphony Dental Studio, we perform comfortable and gentle tooth extractions for all ages. If you have oral pain, dental trauma, or tooth decay, tooth extraction may be the next step to improve your oral health. Contact us today to learn more about tooth extraction in San Francisco, CA.
Why Extract a Tooth?
Your general dentist may recommend tooth extraction for any of the following reasons:
- Severe tooth decay
- Damaged or broken teeth
- Infected teeth
- Periodontal disease (gum disease)
- To prepare for upcoming orthodontic treatment
- If any teeth are impacted or do not erupt correctly
The Tooth Extraction Procedure
During routine checkups, we take dental X-rays to look at your teeth and roots and determine if extraction is necessary. There are two types of tooth extractions: simple extractions and surgical extractions. When a tooth has erupted through the gums, your dentist can use an elevator to raise the tooth and forceps to remove it. This is known as a simple tooth extraction.
If a tooth is fully or partially impacted, or stuck beneath the gums, it will require surgical extraction. This involves your dentist or oral surgeon making an incision in the gum tissue to access and remove the tooth. Wisdom teeth are more prone to becoming impacted and often require extraction using IV sedation, which is performed by an oral surgeon.
When undergoing a tooth extraction at our office, we will use a local anesthetic to numb the area. You may feel some pressure as we remove the tooth, but will not feel discomfort. Once the tooth has been removed, we will clean the extraction site and place a gauze to control any bleeding.
Instructions After Tooth Extraction
Follow the instructions we provide to ensure your extraction site heals properly and to speed up the recovery process. After having a tooth pulled, avoid using straws or rinsing. This could dislodge the blood clot, creating a condition known as dry socket. If you suspect a dry socket, call our office immediately.
If you are experiencing tooth pain, extracting the tooth often alleviates the pain immediately. Any residual discomfort can be managed with over-the-counter pain medications or ice packs. Unless told otherwise, you can brush and floss your teeth normally after 24 hours. If you have questions at any point, call our office and a member of our team will be happy to help!
Types of Sedation
There are several sedation options available. We will help select the right choice for you depending on your specific needs and treatment.
Tooth Replacement Options After Extraction
Extracting a permanent tooth is a last resort. Our team at Symphony Dental Studio will make every effort to save your natural teeth and restore their health and function. If tooth extraction is necessary, we will talk about your options for replacing the missing tooth. There are several options to choose from, including:
- Dental Implants. A dental implant can restore a tooth's function and appearance. Because implants are inserted directly into the jaw bone, they preserve dental alignment and prevent bone loss. An oral surgeon will place the implant and we will create and place the final, custom-made crown.
- Dental Bridge. Fixed dental bridges are cemented onto your existing teeth to fill the gap. They restore your smile's appearance and prevent adjacent teeth from shifting into the open space. There are several types of dental bridges available depending on the location and number of missing teeth.
- Dentures. Partial dentures can restore the appearance of some teeth, while full dentures replace an entire arch. We will take impressions of your mouth and create custom dentures that fit comfortably.
- No Replacement. Without some form of tooth replacement, patients may feel less confident about their smiles. Nearby teeth can shift into the open space, which can lead to misalignment and bite problems. If you are not ready to replace your tooth, we can talk about future restoration and create a treatment plan that fits your needs and budget.
Tooth Extractions in San Francisco, CA
At Symphony Dental Studio, we understand how stressful it can be to lose a permanent tooth, and our team is here to provide support and guidance. If tooth extraction is necessary, we will walk you through every step and ensure your comfort during and after extraction. Contact our office in San Francisco, CA, today to schedule an exam and see if tooth extraction is the next step for your smile.
Compassionate Experts Dedicated to Your Dental Health
We want all of our patients to have a comfortable and positive dental experience. Our team is always here to answer questions and provide support throughout your journey to a healthier and happier smile. Contact us today to schedule your appointment or to learn about the range of dental services we offer.